In this activity, students make and/or observe two 3D moving models of the different tectonic plate boundaries under the North and South Islands representing the North Island subduction zone and the South Island Alpine Fault.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- understand the movement of plate boundaries in different parts of New Zealand.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- what you need
- what to do
- making the North Island subduction zone model
- making the South Island fault model
- using the North Island subduction zone model
- using the South Island fault model
- model pieces.
This activity was developed for the Earthquake Commission (EQC) and has been kindly provided for use on the Science Learning Hub.